At the end of every year, I make time to sit and reflect on the past year, and prioritize what I want to accomplish in the upcoming year. Maybe it’s the Type-A planner in me, but mapping out the new year is one of my favorite things to do!
Since I was about 9 years old (I’m not kidding!), I have always went through a similar process to set my goals for the new year. I know many people who want to make plans and focus on their goals, but simply don’t know where to even begin.
For those who are thinking, “Yes, this is so me!” I have included the goal setting worksheet that I use for my goal setting each year at the end of this blog post.
How do I do it?
To set my goals, I like to take a holistic approach and look at many facets of my life. For the past couple of years, I have broken out my goals into the following areas:
- Theme for the Year: The main over-arching sentiment I want to accomplish that year.
- Church & Faith: How do I want to grow my relationship with God?
- Family & Friends: Ways to connect more deeply with my spouse, child, and extended family/friends.
- Health: What can I do to be a healthier version of myself?
- Home: Ways I can enhance my home life, typically through major house projects
- Travel: Where do I want to travel, and who do I want to visit?
- Work: What do I want to accomplish in my career?
- Miscellaneous: What other goals to I have for my life?
Then What do I do?
After I think about my goals, I type them up on my worksheet. Then, I print it out and hang it up somewhere that I can see on a daily basis. I usually hang up this worksheet in my office. I think it is very important to display your goals somewhere that you can track on a regular basis. And it is always so satisfying when you are able to check one off the list!
“It is very important to display your goals somewhere that you can track on a regular basis.”
Get Your Goal Setting Worksheet
To download my goal setting worksheet template, click here. Feel free to modify in a way that meets your personal goals and needs!
Happy New Year!
I hope you find this post about goal setting to be helpful for you! No matter what your goals are for 2020, I wish you a blessed year ahead in which we all learn to let go more, laugh a little harder, and love a little stronger.
Download Your Goal Setting Worksheet Here!